Please note that this is a Thursday start date so that you can get logged in and join the forum ready to make the most of the weekend ahead.
Sometimes my sketchbooks look outwards and capture the world around me. Sometimes they look inwards and I call these my 'soulscapes'. They are usually inspired by nature but in a way that connects to the symbolism of what is around us, birds, journeying and ideas of connection through tapping in to nature's beat - I use moon, stars, sun, trees to express ideas and affirmations. I combine words and pictures and often work with a naive, playful style.
This course is for you:
- if you like to work intuitively - following an idea from your imagination
- if you like colour and it's connection to expressing mood
- if you like to combine words and images
- if you want to start a sketchbook that is expressive, narrative and colourful
Materials you will need for the class:
- A5/A4 sketchbook
- different drawing media - I suggest a pencil, biro, fine felt-tip pen, posca paint pen (ow whatever you have)
- acrylic paints or inks
- magazines you can cut up for imagery
- papers you can cut up for collage - old book pages, old envelopes, bits of wallpaper, painted sheets of paper etc
- a computer printer (optional)
- scissors and glue (I use uhu)
What you will learn on this course:
- Preparing a mixed-media sketchbook
- Working intuitively to capture emotions
- Working in sequence to enhance your creative flow
- Drawing, collaging and painting to create layers and bring your sketchbook to life
- Adding narrative with words and symbolic imagery
The course content can be accessed from 10am on the start date. You will have 3 weeks access to the content. I've planned the content to give you a weekend of creativity or you can spread it over a few evenings.
You will be invited to join a private Facebook group for students on this course so that you can share your ideas and receive feedback from myself and others. It will help keep you inspired, motivated and accountable for getting started and fulfilling your create aspirations.
This course consists of:
- Welcome session
- 5 video tutorials allowing you to follow me as I go through techniques, ideas and processes
- Set tasks for you to go through the processes and create your own sketchbook pages
- A concluding session
- A Facebook Group forum to allow you to share ideas and get inspiration and feedback.
- Access to my ongoing Facebook community to continue your creative journey in a supportive, like-minded community
What you will need to have:
- The materials on the materials list (see above)
- Access via a PC or laptop to my website where you can access the password protected pages
- Broadband wifi with sufficient speed to watch video content
- You will also need a willingness to have a go and try new ways of working - not focussed on the outcomes, but on devloping a creative flow and adapting new techniques
- Time - a weekend that you can set aside for yourself
- Commitment to fulfil the tasks and share with others in the group so that we can nurture each other.
What to expect:
- After signing up you will get email confirmation of your booking
- On the course start date you will be emailed the log-in codes at 10am. This gives you access to password protected website pages.
- You can access the course immediately and at any point for three weeks. Delivery is via video tutorials that you can start, stop and repeat as you wish.
- There are tasks set for you to try what you have been shown in the videos.
- You are encouraged to take photos of what you create and upload them to the course Facebook Group.
- You can ask questions in the group, or by email.
- You will be notified when access is ending.
Starting a Soulful Sketchbook - 21st October
You can cancel before the course starts and receive a full refund. Once the course date has started, no refund can be given.
Should you have extenuating circumstances, access to the course provision may be extend. This is discretionary.