Please note that this is a Thursday start date so that you can get logged in and join the forum ready to make the most of the weekend ahead.
In my work as a mixed-media collage artist, part of my studio practice is to create a stash of papers that use a variety of texture and marks. This stash is then ready at my finger tips - a box of paper delights ready to use in my collaged paintings and sketchbook work.
On this course, I will show you different techniques for making pattern and mark on paper so that you can create a resource of papers for collage. I will show you how I see nature and translate the textures and marks from nature onto paper to use in my work. Processes will include printmaking, mark making and painting. We will look at nature to collect ideas, use photography to gather information and by the end of the course you'll have your own curated collection of papers that represent how you see nature's marks.
This course is for you if:
- You want to create a pile of collage papers ready for action
- You need to loosen up and experiment with expressive and gestural mark
- You look at the world around you but don't know how to capture the colours and textures of what you see
- You're always looking for interesting papers for collage and sketchbooks but the cupboard is bare!
- You've got stuck and need to try something new
- You want to get creative but drawing isn't your thing - this day is about capturing nature's surfaces and elements
- You want to build a resource of papers to use in future landscape or sketchbook workshops with me.
Materials you will need for the class:
- Cartridge paper or sheets of paper
- acrylic paints or inks (or use what you have)
- a tube or two of water-based printing ink
- a rubber print roller
- a lino cutter or scalpel
- a bag of basic office erasers (6-10)
- coloured papers (collect book pages, envelopes, magazine pages)
- magazine pages
- sheet of acetate/plastic sheet
- coloured pencils/pens/charcoal pencil - use what you have!
- mark making tools - scrapers/combs/skewers etc (we will aslo make some on the course)
What you will learn on this course:
- Creating papers for collage
- Being inspired by pattern and texture
- simple print techniques
- making your own mark making tools
- Finding your creative flow
- Inspiration for how to organise your studio
The course content can be accessed from 10am on the start date. You will have 6 weeks access to the content. I've planned the content to give you a full weekend of creativity or you can spread it over a a week of evenings.
You will be invited to join a private Facebook group for students on this course so that you can share your ideas and receive feedback from myself and others. It will help keep you inspired, motivated and accountable for getting started and fulfilling your create aspirations. There will also be the opportunity to join a zoom meet up to discuss progress and ideas from the course.
This course consists of:
- Welcome session
- 6 video tutorials allowing you to follow me as I go into nature, and then take ideas back to the studio.
- Set tasks for you to go through the processes and create your own paper stash
- A concluding session
- A Facebook Group forum to allow you to share ideas and get inspiration and feedback.
- Access to my ongoing Facebook community to continue your creative journey in a supportive, like-minded community
- Zoom meet-up of your group (optional)
What you will need to have:
- The materials on the materials list (see above)
- Access via a PC or laptop to my website where you can access the password protected pages
- Broadband wifi with sufficient speed to watch video content
- You will also need a willingness to have a go and try new ways of working - not focussed on the outcomes, but on devloping a creative flow and adopting new techniques
- Time - a weekend, or evennings that you can set aside for yourself
- Commitment to fulfil the tasks and share with others in the group so that we can nurture each other.
What to expect:
- After signing up you will get email confirmation of your booking
- On the course start date you will be emailed the log-in codes at 10am. This gives you access to password protected website pages.
- You can access the course immediately and at any point for three weeks. Delivery is via video tutorials that you can start, stop and repeat as you wish.
- There are tasks set for you to try what you have been shown in the videos.
- You are encouraged to take photos of what you create and upload them to the course Facebook Group.
- You can ask questions in the group, or by email.
- You will be notified when access is ending.
Earthing - mark making inspired by nature - March 11th 2021
You can cancel before the course starts and receive a full refund. Once the course date has started, no refund can be given.
Should you have extenuating circumstances, access to the course provision may be extend. This is discretionary.