Please note that this is a Thursday start date so that you can get logged in and join the forum ready to make the most of the weekend ahead.
The past year has seen me walking through the seasons. The trees tell the stories of the seasons so well. They keep pace with nature's beat and remind us to do the same. They know when to be still, when to let go, when to awaken and grow.
On this course, create a mixed-media, folding sketchbook that takes you on a journey through the woods and captures the trees. Use this to tell a story of the seasons and express what your connection to nature means to you.
This course is for you:
- if you'd like to connect to your immediate landscape and capture the trees around you
- if you would like to work with mixed media, layering drawn mark and collage
- if, like me, you notice the trees changing and would like to learn ways of interpreting them in line shape and colour
- if you think you would like to work more intuitively, capturing the essence of nature, rather than every leaf and branch
- if you find it hard to find your flow - I will show you how I work in series and use my sketchbooks to develop ideas
Materials you will need for the workshop:
- A4/A3 sketchbook or sheets of coloured/white/brown paper
- different drawing media - I suggest a pencil, biro, fine felt-tip pen, Posca paint pen (or use what you have)
- papers you can cut up for collage - old book pages, old envelopes, bits of wallpaper, painted sheets of paper etc
- a computer printer (optional)
- scissors and glue (I use uhu)
- It helps to have a tree (s) to visit that you can draw from - this could be in your garden, local park or woods.
What you will learn on this course:
- Confidence to go outside to draw and capture your surroundings (using photography as well)
- Making a mixed-media sketchbook
- Working intuitively to capture the essence of nature
- Working in sequence to enhance your creative flow
- Drawing, collaging and painting to create layers and bring your sketchbook to life
- Adding narrative with words and symbolic imagery
The course content can be accessed from 10am on the start date. You will have 6 weeks access to the content. I've planned the content to give you a full weekend of creativity or you can spread it over a a week of evenings.
You will be invited to join a private Facebook group for students on this course so that you can share your ideas and receive feedback from myself and others. It will help keep you inspired, motivated and accountable for getting started and fulfilling your create aspirations.
This course consists of:
- Welcome session
- 5 video tutorials allowing you to follow me as I draw from a still-life set up.
- Set tasks for you to go through the processes and create your own sketches and drawings from your own set up.
- A concluding session
- A Facebook Group forum to allow you to share ideas and get inspiration and feedback.
- Access to my ongoing Facebook community to continue your creative journey in a supportive, like-minded community
What you will need to have:
- The materials on the materials list (see above)
- Access via a PC or laptop to my website where you can access the password protected pages
- Broadband wifi with sufficient speed to watch video content
- You will also need a willingness to have a go and try new ways of working - not focussed on the outcomes, but on devloping a creative flow and adapting new techniques
- Time - a weekend that you can set aside for yourself
- Commitment to fulfil the tasks and share with others in the group so that we can nurture each other.
What to expect:
- After signing up you will get email confirmation of your booking
- On the course start date you will be emailed the log-in codes at 10am. This gives you access to password protected website pages.
- You can access the course immediately and at any point for six weeks. Delivery is via video tutorials that you can start, stop and repeat as you wish.
- There are tasks set for you to try what you have been shown in the videos.
- You are encouraged to take photos of what you create and upload them to the course Facebook Group.
- You can ask questions in the group, or by email.
- You will be notified when access is ending.
A Walk in the Woods - May 20th 2021
You can cancel before the course starts and receive a full refund. Once the course date has started, no refund can be given.
Should you have extenuating circumstances, access to the course provision may be extend. This is discretionary.